SEC Updates – Week Thirteen
1. LSU beat Arkansas, as expected, 41-17 at LSU. Arkansas opened up aggressive but were no match for the LSU Tigers. This solidifies LSU’s spot as #1 in the BCS and they will be matching up with the Georgia Bulldogs in the SEC Championship this weekend in Atlanta.
2. Mark Richt’s Georgia Bulldogs previewed the climate in Atlanta this weekend when they visited in state rival, Georgia Tech. The Bulldogs squashed the Yellow Jackets 31-17. They have earned the right to meet up with #1 Ranked LSU in Atlanta this weekend in the SEC Tournament. There is no expectation of the Bulldogs upsetting the Tigers, but the in-state support may help the attempt.
3. The famous Iron Bowl, between long time rivals Auburn and Alabama, looked exciting in the first half. However, Nick Saban got his Crimson Tide Rolling to snuff out Auburn 42-14. This game stamped the #2 slot for Alabama. They have an off week, so now I believe they are a definite for the the National Championship game.
4. The “Big Orange” Pants for Derrick Dooley seem to almost be a curse at this point for TN Fans. The Vols visited the Kentucky Wildcats over Thanksgiving weekend. The Vols have beaten the Wildcats 26 straight years and were expected to make it 27. Not so fast….Kentucky held strong and controlled the game from the beginning and broke the streak, beating the Vols by a field goal (which TN missed early in the game) 10-7. This is by far the most embarrassing season the Vols have experienced in years!
5. Will Muschamp’s Florida Gators is also experiencing a very sad season and fell to instate rival, Florida State 21-7.
ACC Updates – Week Thirteen
1. NC State shocked the Terrapins with a record-setting second half comeback to win in Raleigh. The Wolfpack were favored going into the game, so the shock was not the win, but the deficit they allowed and rallied to overcome. NC State was trailing 41-14 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and went on to win 56-41. With 6 touchdowns in the 2nd half (5 in the 4th quarter), the pack set an ACC comeback record and achieved bowl eligibility.
Top 5 Tailgating Must Haves from Saturday: Ole Miss vs LSU.
Tailgating Expert: Christie Leigh Mueller
Christie took the weekend off, so here are her tips from two weekends ago, at the Ole Miss vs. LSU game!
Silver. A typical tailgate in the Grove has more silver than a Southern Belle’s wedding registry. From chaffing dishes to chandeliers and every candelabra in between, no tailgate in the Grove is complete without something worth shining!
Place holder: This is different than the place kicker found on the field. The place holder in the Grove is the designated member of your group, or a hired local or college student, to head to the Grove on Friday night and wait. And wait. And wait until the regulations are lifted and tents can be put up for Saturday’s game. This duty is not taken lightly. With only 10 acres for tailgating, getting a primo spot is as important as shining the silver.
Booming economy: The beauty of a seven PM game is the full day you have to be at the historic square in Oxford. The beautiful courthouse centered in downtown Oxford creates a Southern feel for shopping, eating and people watching. With the standard of wardrobes in line with Milly, Tory Burch and Lily Pulitzer, it appears that Oxford, MS has gone unscathed by any economic turmoil!
A half time mass exodus. The upside of having the number one team in the country come to your field is that you don’t have to travel to be a part of history. The downside to having the number one team in the country come to your stadium is the likelihood that they are going to have significantly more points than your team. In which case, a mass exodus at half time is required in order to get to your tailgate or the hot spots in the square.
Greatest gameday outfits in the south. As part of the admissions application process at Ole Miss, university administrators do a thorough background check into your style and fashion sense. Hence, why every belle that attends The University of Mississippi is dressed for a runway. On game day. It truly is a sea of beautiful belles showing off their respect for the team by well coordinated outfits. What’s more, is that visiting belles also step up their wardrobe game. If it’s going to be a rivalry, let’s make it a good looking rivalry!