We are well into college football season and Swoozie’s is excited to bring you our weekly recap! Here is our Week Seven report from our SEC and ACC correspondents.
SEC Updates – Week Seven
1. LSU quieted the normally loud Vol Nation in Knoxville this weekend, beating The Big Orange 38-7. LSU gets Auburn at home this week. LSU will be favored but Auburn is playing well and could make things interesting.
2. Everyone was shocked when Ole Miss opened up with a quick touchdown against Alabama this Saturday. Those would be the only points that Ole Miss would put on the board for the rest of the game. Bama beat down Ole Miss over and over, even with the 3rd string in the game. Many spectators were alarmed by what appeared to be Bama running it up on Ole Miss 52-7. Alabama hosts Tennessee this weekend for what is sure to be another win.
3. South Carolina came up with just enough to get by Mississippi State Saturday but the real story is the season-ending knee injury to RB Marcus Lattimore. The Gamecocks get a much-needed bye week before consecutive games at Tennessee and Arkansas, then end the conference schedule with Florida at home. South Carolina still needs to run the table to secure a second SEC East championship.
4. Florida will not be in that hunt after sustaining a third conference loss, falling to Auburn 17-6. Florida head coach Will Muschamp’s temper tantrum after Auburn recovered a bobbled kick off was one of the most talked about scenes this weekend.
5. Georgia held on to win at Vanderbilt in a “down to the wire” 33-28 defeat. Although the game was very exciting, what happened after the game was much more interesting. Georgia’s Defensive Coordinator decided to confront the Vandy head coach James Franklin. Coaches and players were getting into a shoving match at mid-field and it took police about five minutes to break this up!
ACC Updates – Week Seven
1. Maryland, led by quarterback CJ Brown, was relentless in the first half against Clemson. In fact, it looked as if the Tigers’ undefeated season would come to an end until well into the 3rd quarter. Clemson was down 35-17 at the beginning of the 3rd quarter and went on to outscore the Terps 39-10 in the 2nd half. The Tigers are now the only unbeaten team in the ACC and one of 10 remaining in the country, ranked #7 in the first BCS standings released for the season.
2. The Virginia Cavaliers handed Georgia Tech the biggest ACC upset of the week, giving 2nd year coach Mike London a boost after a disappointing 4-8 season in 2010. The Yellow Jackets remain in the top 25 and are ranked #22 in the BCS standings, but the loss does keep the race for the Coastal Division champion interesting.
3. Miami came out of the gates hot in Chapel Hill, scoring in their first 5 possessions against UNC, and had 2 touchdowns before their defense over took the field. After leading 17-0 and 27-10 at halftime, the Canes would only score once more in the 2nd half with a field goal. However, it was enough for a division victory over the Tarheels and Al Golden’s first win on the road.
4. Logan Thomas and the Hokies of Virginia Tech rallied back from an early deficit against Wake Forest and went on to win 38-17. VT’s defense held the Demon Deacons to only one 3rd down conversion in 12 attempts and Wake’s defense didn’t have an answer for the combination of Thomas and wide receiver Jarrett Boykin.
5. Although there was quite a bit of optimistic speculation that Duke would have a chance with Florida State on Saturday, the Seminoles did get their first win in a month. Florida State didn’t take it easy on the Blue Devils and played like they had something to prove after the loss to Wake last week. FSU had an interception in Duke’s first drive of the game and never let up, starting the 2nd half by sacking Duke QB, Sean Renfree.
Top 5 Tailgating Tips from Saturday
Our fabulous tailgaitng expert, Christie Leigh Mueller, took a much-needed bye week. While we all are sad to miss out on her weekly tailgating stories, this is a great opportunity for YOU to fill us in on your tailgating experience from this past weekend! What was the scene like on Saturday? What were some of your favorite dishes you sampled?