1. One of the most talked about games in the SEC this week was Vanderbilt vs. Ole Miss. There was no “Hotty Totty” witnessed in Nashville on Saturday. The Doors dominated the game 30-0 until Ole Miss finally got on the board with a little over 2 minutes left. Vandy is now a 3-0 team and some saying the best team in Tennessee. It will be interesting to watch if Vandy can actually keep this momentum going. We will not have to wait for long – they match up with Steve Spurrier’s South Carolina Gamecocks this weekend in Columbia. Now we will see what they are really made of!
2. Tennessee fell, or should I say plummeted, to the Florida Gators this weekend. The final score of 33-23 is really not a good representation of how this game went down in The Swamp on Saturday. The much talked about TN QB, Tyler Bray, was out of sorts on and off the field, frustrated by the Gators powerful defense. It did not help his case that Justin Hunter, TN top receiver, was injured and is rumored to be out for this year with a torn ACL. This does not bode well for the Vols looking at the tough schedule for the rest of the season. Will Muschamp might have won his inaugural TN/FL game in The Swamp, but many discussed his team’s lack of control seeing all of the penalties his team was hit with.
3. Many expected the defending National Champs Auburn to fall this year, but falling to Clemson 38-24 left many Auburn fans reeling and dreading the outcome of this season. Clemson looked like an SEC Team and controlled the Auburn Tigers for most of the game. Rumors are running that after the game the SEC Commissioner, Mike Slive, even made an appearance in the Clemson locker room talking about joining the SEC…well that is one more we can add to the list! When did the SEC become such “a player?”
4. Mark Richt was able to cool some fires on Saturday as Georgia did what was expected and defeated Coastal Carolina, 59-0. I often wonder why these types of teams waste a Saturday game – they could just scrimmage! Georgia plays Ole Miss this weekend and if the Rebels look anything like they did against Vandy this weekend, it will be a blow out.
5. The game of the this week is Alabama/Arkansas in Tuscaloosa. This will be Arkansas’s chance to prove they are a team to be reckoned with. If I were a betting girl, I would put my money on the Crimson Tide on this one, but is stands to be a close, low scoring game with these two mighty defenses.
1. Although this decision probably doesn’t have as much to do with the football season as it does basketball, it’s official: Syracuse and Pitt are joining the ACC and there are talks of UConn following suit from the Big East. The departures are causing rumors that the Big East may dissolve completely as stronger conferences (the ACC) expand and move towards a ‘super-conference’ system in NCAA play. However, the ESPN Thursday night matchup this week is between the ACC’s NC State Wolfpack and the Big East’s Cincinnati Bearcats; hopefully the ACC can come away with a W there also.
2. Florida State hosted ESPN Gameday in Tallahassee against #1 ranked Oklahoma. Last season Oklahoma beat FSU by 30 points. The game was quite a bit more exciting for Seminole fans this year; they have some of the most highly recruited freshmen in the country and went into Saturday’s game ranked #5 in the country. Even though FSU couldn’t come away with a win, they were certainly not embarrassed and run out of the game like last year, the final score a much more dignified 23-13.
3. Both Miami and Ohio State programs are in very hot water with ongoing NCAA investigations that just adds to the tension of the matchup Saturday between the schools that have now met 5 times. Ohio State has won 3, with one of the victories at the 2003 Fiesta Bowl played for the National Championship and considered one of OSU’s greatest wins and one of Miami’s greatest defeats. The game went into double overtime due to a controversial pass interference call on Miami’s defense, giving OSU the opportunity to score and send the game into the second OT. Saturday was a different story, as Miami came away with a very sweet victory over the ranked Buckeyes.
4. Clemson also pulled off a huge upset over the reigning National Champs, ending Auburn’s winning streak Saturday at Death Valley. Although the game was exciting, the best highlight from the day comes from Clemson coach Dabo Swinney’s post game interview.
5. This should have been included in last week’s post, however it’s worthwhile enough to be included this week. After the season opener Labor Day weekend, UNC’s new coach, Everett Withers, gave the game ball to their former coach, Butch Davis, who did not part ways with the administration on amicable terms. “The last thing chancellor Holden Thorp needs, less than two months after controversially firing Davis for collective embarrassment to the university, is his new interim coach honoring his predecessor on the very day the program was supposed to be moving in a new, less embarrassing direction.”
Top 5 Tailgating Tips from Saturday: Florida v Tennessee
Tailgating Expert: Christie Leigh Mueller
1. Despite the much-appreciated clouds, the Swamp felt much like an actual swamp—muggy, humid and full of gators. I used every trick in the book to stay cool and what a battle that was!
2. Jumbotron. The jumbotron at Florida Field was great at catching a variety of fans. If you’re on the jumbotron, be sure to smile and wave — and even chomp!
3. What fun fans Florida has! Dedicated and spirited was the theme for Florida fans. Impressively, Gents and Belles from both teams were well mannered and interacting pleasantly with their biggest rivals.
4. Sunshine state, sunglasses were a necessity for all Belles this weekend, if you haven’t found a great pair for the season, time to start looking!
5. Florida fans are completely dedicated to their ‘Gator’. We saw all styles at the tailgates this past weekend. The creativity displayed and top-notch spreads around this respected mascot were impressive. Overall, great job to the Gators!
Click here to check out more photos from the Florida v Tennessee game. What is the best tailgating setup you have ever seen?